Good morning! Here’s the technology news you need to know this Tuesday morning.
1. Amazon is cutting hundreds of jobs in a “rare” move. The cuts are mostly in the company’s consumer-retail division.
2. Snap’s VP of sales, Jeff Lucas, is leaving the company after less than two years. The exit comes a few weeks after Snap’s VP of product announced his departure from the company.
3. YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said that Facebook should “get back to baby pictures.” Wojcicki was asked what she thought about Facebook’s increasing video ambitions.
4. The next version of Android will reportedly be designed to support notches — just like the iPhone X. Google is working on a new version of Android, Android P, which reportedly has the internal codename of “Pistachio Ice Cream.”
5. A key Samsung executive who was behind its Bixby virtual assistant, Samsung Pay, and its enterprise security platform Knox, is joining Google. Injong Rhee will become an entrepreneur-in-residence at Google.
6. A German court ruled that Facebook’s use of personal data is illegal. The verdict is only from a regional court in Berlin, though.
7. JPMorgan warned that there’s a “fairly high risk” bitcoin could get cut in half. “The question is whether we go there straight away, indicated on a failure to clear 10128 and 10776, or at a later stage after a stronger countertrend rally,” technical analysts at the bank wrote in a note to clients on Friday.
8. Uber is now forcing its drivers to take a long break after 12 hours on the road. The move is intended to cut down on drowsiness and stop drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
9. Two YouTube stars hid in a closet to avoid an armed fan who was later found dead. Gavin Free and Meg Turney managed to avoid obsessed fan Christopher Giles.
10. Amazon quietly dropped $90 million (£64.9 million) on a camera startup last year to acquire its unique chip technology. The takeover has had almost no coverage, but it actually took place almost two months ago.
NOW WATCH: You’ve never seen a bridge like this before
from Business Insider http://ift.tt/2EmAj5R